Over the last several years I have stopped preaching “patriotic messages”. Now I still enjoy living in the best country in the world, and I try to fulfill Romans 13:1-7 the best that I can. But I’m now persuaded that the Sunday morning worship service needs to be about worshipping the God of Heaven. Let me give you in bulleted form some of those reasons:
- The worship service is about who God is and what He has done for us.
- No where in scripture are we asked to worship the country we live in. (ex: Daniel and Nehemiah)
- Only Christ saves, not our country or political persuasion
- Frankly the older the USA becomes there is less and less to ask God’s blessing upon.
- We are to pray for our national leaders spiritual status, 1 Timothy 2:1-7, even doing so in our services.
- In our community there are roughly 8+ national groups represented, they need to now it’s the Gospel and not a country that saves
Thus when I enter the pulpit this Sunday, as the 4th of July weekend winds down, the message will be out of 1 Timothy 3. Why? Because that’s where we are in our current Sunday Morning study.
Have a Happy 4th, but on Sunday be sure to worship the God of Heaven.