I appreciate the fact that we have people in our church who have a desire to reach people with the Gospel. It is a joy to see their excitement. What has been interesting is to see how God has been directing my reading of late in this area. This article by Mark Dever 5 things mistaken for evangelism, got me to thinking about what is the Gospel message that we need to be sharing?
Here in just six points is the Gospel message the unsaved need to hear:
- God is our Holy Creator and righteous Judge-Gen 2:7, 16-17; 18:25; Rev 20:11-13
- We have all sinned against Him Gen 3:1-7; Rom 3:23; Eph 2:1-3
- He has sent Christ to die the death that we deserved for our sins Jn 1:14; Rom 3:21-26; 5:6-8; Eph 2:4-6
- Christ death and resurrection is the only way to be reconciled to the one true God. Rom 10:9-10
- We must respond to this good news by repenting of our sins and believing in the gospel if we would be forgiven by God, reconciled to Him and saved from the wrath to come Matt 3:2; 4:17; Mk 1:15; Lu 3:7-9; Jn 20:31; Acts 26:20
- We must preserver in a lifestyle of repentance and belief displaying an increasingly loving and holy lifestyle that proves we are His disciples: Jn 15:8; 1 Thess 3:12-13; James 2:14-26; 1 Jn 2:3; 3:14; 4:8 ..
Allow me to suggest no program, no plan is ever going to replace or create more results than this: Believers sharing the Gospel message. The Apostle Paul said that he was commissioned to tell people to REPENT, TURN TO GOD, and PERFORM DEEDS IN KEEPING WITH REPENTANCE (Acts 26:20). In fact in his first letter to the Thessalonians that is exactly how Paul described the “conversion” of the Thessalonians in 1 Thessalonians 1:9-10 “…they turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God…and wait for His Son from heaven…”
Christ in Matthew 28:19-20 “19 "Go therefore and make disciples [the idea is to take a person from rejecting God to repenting and turning to God and be His disciple] of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching [the idea is to teach them how to live as a disciple of Jesus Christ] them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."
Thus evangelism is NOT filling people with knowledge, but rather helping them to see their spiritual need in light of Who God is; their lost condition; and that Jesus Christ is the only way, the truth and the life.
Now, we as believers also have a responsibility to let people who repent and turn to God know how they ought to live. Though this point could fill several blog postings, allow me to share but 3 basic things we need to help people with when they first repent:
- Learn to love God with your whole being. Matthew 22:37
- Learn to love your neighbor as yourself. Matthew 22:39
- Learn to treat your enemy with love. Romans 12:14-21; 13:8-10
Because this matter has eternal consequences it is so important that we get the Gospel message right, so people can KNOW they are saved and on their way to an eternal home with God.
So let’s get the Gospel right, share it, and help those who repent to grow in their relationships with Christ.